Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Does obesity increase the risk of breakthrough bleeding with birth control?

I know obesity increases the risk of pregnancy. However, I'm curious if breakthrough/spotting bleeding is more common. I am not horrificly overweight just about 20 lbs over the recommended high weight. I have been on Orthro-Evra and had heavy breakthrough bleeding almost period like every 2 weeks. I have seen my doctor about this and she switch me to Ortho-TriCyclen-Lo. She told me to start the pill immediately after my last patch not to skip a week. I am still spotting and it is week 2 of the pills and I didnt have my regular period as I would had a waited and had the hormone free week. I didnt have any problems with my periods until going back on b/c. I had taken the patch previously without complication. I'm wondering if it would be better to go off the b/c for a month and allow myself to get back on track and start over. Any suggestions...Does obesity increase the risk of breakthrough bleeding with birth control?
I don't know for sure if it does increase the risk of breakthrough bleeding, but I can tell you my experience with it. I have never been overweight...always in the normal weight range, and I've tried two different types of birth control pills. The first kind was Ortho Tricyclen Lo, and I bled until I stopped taking the pills. The second kind was Alesse, and it did the same thing...I bled until I stopped taking the pills. So, I just figured that my body doesn't do very well with birth control pills. You could try looking into alternative methods of birth control if it doesn't straighten out. Good Luck!Does obesity increase the risk of breakthrough bleeding with birth control?
I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment