Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What are the risks (if any) of stopping *hormone* birth control?

In the past few months, I have had one shot of Depo-Provera (June) and have been on Yasmin since the beginning of August. I am miserable. My body feels absolutely horrible (I was just diagnosed with Gallstones to top it off) and I have constant mood swings so, naturally, I would really like to stop taking hormone BC altogether...however, my husband is worried about what could happen to my health by stopping cold-turkey. *sigh* Help.What are the risks (if any) of stopping *hormone* birth control?
I understand your frustration with hormonal birth control because the two methods you've tried so far haven't given you desired results. However, there are literally about 100 different 'pills' out there. Describe your symptoms to your doctor and maybe they can find one that is more suited to you.





Anyway, if you still decide that you don't want to take hormonal birth control, there are few risks with stopping it. The biggest risk is unintended pregnancy. Again, if it solved some other problem (acne, period regularity, etc.), that problem will come back. If you saw any physical changes when taking birth control, those changes will revert (some women gain weight or breast size).





Besides that, you should be good to go!





good luck!





ps - maybe your husband is worried about having to go back to condoms (or some other method)?





pps - the birth control pill raises some risks in women and stopping it will reduce those risks back to your personal baseline.What are the risks (if any) of stopping *hormone* birth control?
Birth control is always stopped cold turkey. There is no method of tapering off where they tell you to just take a pill every other day.





The only risk really is if you were on the pill for some specific problem, then that problem could come back. For example, I'm on birth control both as a contraceptive and also because I suffer from ovarian cysts. So without bc my doctor will probably warn me that my cysts might come back.





If you're otherwise healthy, you can just stop the pill. You don't need a doctor's advice or supervision.
Your single biggest risk is unwanted pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment