Wednesday, May 12, 2010

How real is the risk of blood clots with birth control?

I understand how the risk is higher if you smoke or if you're an older woman, but for some one like me who is a non-smoker (never smoked) and in my late 20s what is the risk? I have no history of blood clots, and I was on the birth control pill for 5 years with no problems before but I've been off it for about 3 years and would like to go back. My sister who is in nursing school mentioned how she recently read how risky they actually really are and it made me think twice now.How real is the risk of blood clots with birth control?
Much less than the risks associated with pregnancy. :)





You are at low risk, but not at NO risk. Discuss birth control options with your gynecologist. Every woman is different. There are so many different types of BCPs now, that I'm sure there's something that will work well for you.How real is the risk of blood clots with birth control?
The most serious complications attributable to birth control pills have been cardiovascular and circulatory system diseases, including blood clots. Clots are particularly dangerous because they can travel to distant parts of the body and relocate in places such as the lungs. However, as the Center for Disease Control and Prevention states, in most healthy women, estrogen and progestin together have no clinically significant impact on clotting.





Cardiovascular diseases, including blood clots, are more likely to occur in women who:





smoke


are sedentary


are overweight


are more than 50 years old


have high blood pressure


are diabetic


have a history of heart or vascular disease


and/or have an elevated cholesterol level


For most women, these factors are much more important in determining a risk for cardiovascular disease than taking low-dose combined oral contraceptives (the most commonly prescribed birth control pills). These newer low dose pills have less effect on blood clotting than earlier pills, and there is less risk for women who don't have any of the other risk factors listed above for cardiovascular disease. If you have any of the predisposing factors to cardiovascular disease, the combined pill may not be for you. If you don't, the risk from these pills alone is relatively small.
Risk is so low that you should not hesitate.
The risk is substantial and it varies with your genetic make-up. If you have the low-risk gene, your risk increases about 4X with birth control vs. no birth control hormones. If you have the high-risk gene, your risk increases about 32X!





If your doctor's knowledge is current with recent medical research (odds are against this), she could order a simple genetic test to determine which risk bracket you are in.





Best wishes and good luck.
I took the pill in my 20's w/ no problems, altho I did smoke. At 38 I had the 1st of 3 strokes which could not be attributed to other causes than the pill %26amp; smoking. I ws fortunate to have lost only part of the field of vision in my left eye, %26amp; I have not had another sinceage 41. I quit smoking 5 years later, which certainly has helped. Its hard to say--you may not ever have a problem, but it only takes one. Just a cautionary tale from someone who had been there.
Well I am a nurse, and there is some risk-but it is a low risk. Your Dr. will take an extensive history, and evaluate your risks. If your not a smoker, not a cough potato, and have had no adverse effects before, I don't see why it would be a problem.
I know it is much higher if you use the patch, so use the pill or ring or something else.
In a non-smoker under 35 without preexisting pro-thrombotic tendencies, then the risk is quite low. If you wish to stop taking OCP, then you must first consult your physician.

No comments:

Post a Comment