Friday, May 14, 2010

Is there a Birth Control that won't cause Migraines or increase your risk of stroke?

After I went on mine a few years ago I noticed my headaches got much worse and moved from the back and top of my head to the front (temples and eyes also), I was diagnosed as having Migraines. But I found out recently that if headaches are worse after going on BC this puts you at greater risk for a stroke. These as well as anuerisms run in my family. I'm currently on Low Ogestrel 28. Is there a milder BC?Is there a Birth Control that won't cause Migraines or increase your risk of stroke?
It's the estrogen in combined hormonal birth control that is associated with increased risk for migraines and stroke, so you may want to consider progestin-only methods such as progestin-only pills (sometimes called ';mini-pills';), Implanon, the Mirena IUD, or depo-provera.





Also, be aware that combined hormonal birth control is only contraindicated if you get migraines with aura. It's not clear from your question if you get aura.





I have never seen anything proving birth control increases your risk for aneurysm (what kind of aneurysm? Brain? Aortic?); I wonder if you're confusing it with the risk of blood clots. However, any family history is something you should discuss with the prescribing doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment