Friday, January 22, 2010

Does taking doxycycline with Yaz birth control increase my risk for pregnancy? I didn't use a condom.?

I had unprotected sex on 4/11 (5 days ago). I am on Yaz birth control and Doxycycline for my acne.





I did not take my doxycycline on that day but I did however take my birth control. I did take my birth control a little later than i usually do in the day, so I'm not sure that has anything to do with this but, I was worried I could possibly be pregnant





the day after I had unprotected sex, I stopped taking my birth control so I could see if my period would come.





I have accidentally forgot to take my birth control for 1 to 2 days in the past and my period ususally comes within 2-3 days. I am worried because It has not come yet and it has been 5 days since I stopped taking it. I am however having slight cramps, but no bleeding.





I was hoping that (thankfully) I didn't take my doxy that day that the effectiveness of my birth control would increase.





I've also heard that taking antibiotics reduces the effectiveness of birth control is a myth (or at least it's very rare.)Does taking doxycycline with Yaz birth control increase my risk for pregnancy? I didn't use a condom.?
Taking antibiotics with birth control does reduce the effectiveness of the pill... this is not a myth and I would not say that it is very rare. Every individual is going to have different results b/c of varying factors. You should call and speak to a pharmacist. Medication has different durations in your system. The longer you are ingesting a medication the more it is building in your system and some medications have a sustainability of days, even after taking your last dose. It is hard to be certain one way or another whether you remembered to take your pill in time or whether the antibiotic has been canceling the effects of the birth control. It is also hard to predict whether or not you can base anything on your menstrual cycle since your body is experiencing a fluctuation in hormone levels when you are not regularly taking your birth control. Having slight cramps could be a sign that your body is preparing itself to shed the lining of your uterus and you may experience a light period. Problem being that lots of women experience signs of light periods while pregnant. You should be in the time frame where you can buy one of the early detection pregnancy tests . All around there I cannot see where there will be any certainty for you at this time. Just try to remember to take the pill, use other protection since you are actively on an antibiotic and if worse comes to worse.... there is a pill called Plan B that can be effective if taken within a certain time frame after unprotected sex. (I believe it is within 48 to 72 hours... but of course the sooner, the better)





Nothing construed or implied in the above information serves as medical consultation and should not replace the consultation of a physician or other licensed medical professionalDoes taking doxycycline with Yaz birth control increase my risk for pregnancy? I didn't use a condom.?
stopping the pill... change in hormones... period effected or delayed

No comments:

Post a Comment