Sunday, January 24, 2010

What are the risks associated with continuing to take birth control pills after 40?

I've read that birth control pills these days are safer since there are more ';lower dosage'; estrogen pills. My primary care doctor says I should stop taking birth control because I'm now in my early 40s, but my gyno said women can continue to take birth control pills up until their 50s. I'd prefer to stay on them because I know exactly when to expect my period and how long it will last. Any women over 40 getting mixed messages as well?What are the risks associated with continuing to take birth control pills after 40?
BIrth control pills can also cause high blood pressure blood clots strokes and heart attacks especially for women who smoke, or women over 30 the older you get the higher risk you're at, but if arent at high risk for those things i wouldnt worry about it as much, a lot of people take it and never have those problems, but if you do have a higher risk i would consider stopping, but definitely ask your doctor about this stuff too, and decide if the pros are more likely than the cons of taking itWhat are the risks associated with continuing to take birth control pills after 40?
I know that the reason why your Gyno suggest to be on birth control until your 50s because of possible pregnancy. Your cycles are more irregular once you're getting closer to postmentrual and it's hard to count the days, especially if you are sexually active. Birth controls will help to prevent these pregnancies since getting pregnany in late years are not healthy for both the mother and baby. But, birth controls and estrogen pills do increase your chance of getting cancer though the percentage is relatively low. You should weigh your options carefully and find one that fits your needs. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment