Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What are the risks of birth control?

I am young, have no history of cancer whatsoever, I do not smoke, drink, or anything like that. Overall I am a pretty healthy woman. What is the absolute worst thing that could happen to me if I go on the pill? (Cancer? Future infertility?) And what is the likeliness of it happening?What are the risks of birth control?
Death is the worst possible side effect, and can occur from blood clots that travel from the limbs to the lungs. It is very rare, so rare that millions of women take the chance. Side effects are more common in people 35+ and smokers, or have a family history of certain conditions.





Birth control may reduce the risk of certain female cancers, and some studies suggest it may increase the risk of others...





However, most doctors agree that the use of bc pills is a lot less than the risk from pregnancy/deliveryWhat are the risks of birth control?
The pill does not cause cancer nor infertility. You can rule them out.


I'm more fertile now than I was when I started the pill. I had stopped ovulating when I started. I ovulate now.





There is a risk of getting gallbladder disease (gallstones) when you take the pill; especially the high-dose ones. I developed gallstones within five months of starting it and had to have my gallbladder removed.





There is a chance of developing clots - possible strokes or other cardiac events after longtime use. The longer you're on it, the greater the risk.





I'm 46 and took the pill for fourteen years (seven years high-dose, seven years low-dose) for PCOS. I stopped taking it in December 2007 because I would get a two week long headache every month. Now I am having problems. My left foot has had bad edema in it since July 2008 (diuretics don't help it) and I am having other problems on my left side (prominent vein in the left side of my neck, chest pains once a month, to name a couple). I have had an ultrasound done of both legs and an echo done of my heart, but they were clear. I have to find out what is wrong. I'm sure I have a clot somewhere they haven't found yet. I'm sure it's from the pill, but there is also heart disease on my father's side of the family.





Sorry to ramble on.. but I would still have taken the pill - only I would have just taken the low-dose pills and stayed away from the high-dose because I had no choice.


The benefits (protection from ovarian and uterine cancer, regular and lighter periods) outweigh the risks.


Talking about it with your doctor is the best advice I can give.

No comments:

Post a Comment