Friday, January 22, 2010

I'm trying to use the IUD as a birth control but is it safe what is the risk ?

The risk is a lower protection rate. IUDs are only about 70% effective I think, at least that's what I was told in Health class 3 years ago, they might have gotten better since then. There is definately a higher risk of vaginal and urinary tract infections though because it retains a lot of excess moisture ';down there';. Ask your doctor though for the best medical assistance. I reccomend using the Pill as well (I use Kariva, about $5, and I love it). It will regulate your period so you know to try and avoid sexual interaction during your most fertile times just to be on the safe side. You can also try using lubricants/condoms with Spermicide for the best protection. The only thing that is 100% effective is abstinance, but the closer you can get to 100%, the better.





Good for you for trying to be safe!! We need more careful people like you! :-)








PS: I checked the site that Tiffany (below me) posted just out of curiosity and it does say 99.9%. Just always check with your doctor first. Not all forms of birth control are right for everyone, so talk to him/her to choose the one (or combination) that is best for you.I'm trying to use the IUD as a birth control but is it safe what is the risk ?
I have a friend who got pregnant while she had an IUD in. The result of that pregnancy is now 33 years old and the mother of two.I'm trying to use the IUD as a birth control but is it safe what is the risk ?
IUD's are reasonably safe, but not particularly reliable.
i think that the dr will give you all the side effects when before he/she inserts it
I had the Mirena IUD put in place in Sept 2005. There was minimal pain (think period cramps) when it was put in, those lasted for maybe half a day or so. After that, I was feeling fine and have been ever since.


We use nothing but the IUD as birth control and so far, its worked for us. I am so glad I dont have to take a pill every day, get a shot or fumble for a condom when we are doing our thing.


Another great upside to it--NO period. My periods have totally disappeared because of the IUD. They will return once I have it removed.





There are risks to having it put in. It can end up in other parts of your body by going through the wall of the uterus, that is RARE but will need surgery to remove. Check out the Mirena website (already listed in an answer) and that will tell you all about it.
Here's the site:


http://www.mirena-us.com/index.html





I'm pretty sure this is the one you're talking about. I have the same one. They have a 99.9% effective rate, not 70%





No birth control to take every day or worry about forgetting


No fumbling with diaphragms, condoms or creams


No peeling patches


Only requires an office visit with your healthcare professional for placement or removal


Effective pregnancy prevention for up to five years


No routine to follow once the Mirena Intrauterine contraceptive (IUC) is accurately placed and the threads on the bottom of the Mirena have not changed in length


Additionally may provide menstruation benefits, such as 90% reduction in menstrual bleeding after one year (About 20% of users have no bleeding at all)


Lesser menstrual cramping in most users


Effective and reversible


99.9% effective pregnancy prevention


Mirena long term birth control works for up to five years (less, if you choose to have it removed)


Reversible with no loss of fertility*


Proven safety


Used successfully by millions of women, worldwide, for over fourteen years


FDA-Approved


9 out of 10 women who use Mirena would recommend it to their friends


Freedom of choice


Lets you decide when you want to try to become pregnant again


Unlike sterilization (tubal ligation or vasectomy), lets you keep your birth control options open (remember, 25% of women who have tubal ligation regret the decision later)


Easy for your healthcare professional to replace Mirena long term contraception at the end of five years; easy for your healthcare professional to remove early





chica_zarca, the reason I recomend it is because it has a lower risk of pregnancy than any other birth control. I've gotten pregnant on the patch as well as the nuva ring and condoms. I've been on the mirena for 14 months and *knock on wood* I'm not pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment